Skip to main content

Better snacking!

recently went on a big bender about having healthier snacks in the house. Our kids will eat anything in their path, so I decided to clean up the options so that it wouldn't be as bad if they did. They love granola bars, but if you've looked at the nutritional facts on those bad boys you probably nearly cried. I almost did. They are THE WORST. Here I was thinking that I was making an okay decision by buying granola bars for them to snack on and then I ended up just feeling awful about buying them in the first place. SO, then I decided I needed to find an easy peasy recipe that could sort of take the place of the granola bars, be healthful, but still be tasty.
I stumbled upon this recipe for a healthier snack "cake" and made some slight adjustments to what I had on hand in my pantry. These ingredients are things I typically have around, so it makes it easy for me to make whenever I would like. I used melted coconut oil because it's been so warm here that it was already melted in the pantry haha Don't let the coconut oil scare you if it's not really your thing. My husband can detect the slightest bit of coconut in anything because he hates it, but he had no idea I used it in this recipe.
And let me tell you, these are tasty!  The chocolate chips make you feel like you're getting a little treat. You can go a step further and use vegan chocolate chips if you'd like. Either way, I highly recommend you give these a try! 




Oatmeal Chocolate Snack Cakes

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or ½ cup whole wheat flour ½ cup regular flour)
¾ cup rolled oats
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
6 TB unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled (or 6 TB melted coconut oil)
1 large egg
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
¾ cup semisweet mini (or regular) chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch (I used an 8-inch) square baking pan with a foil strip long enough to overhang on 2 opposite sides. Spray the foil lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
Whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Whisk the butter, egg, brown sugar and applesauce in a large bowl until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until barely mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan. Bake until the cake is light brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Use the foil overhang to lift the cake out of the pan and let cool completely on the rack. Invert onto a plate and peel the foil off. Re-invert the cake onto a cutting board, cut into 12 pieces and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrots!

Lately carrots have been a favorite veggie of mine. I mean I've always liked them but just thought there was only so many ways to eat a carrot. But once I really jumped into vegetables I started exploring different recipes for so many different kinds. Carrots, making it to the top of my list. Now, carrots are great for you. They are fat free, low in sodium, cholesterol free, a great source of fiber and are high in vitamin A. No other fruit or vegetable contains as much carotene as carrots, which our bodies convert to vitamin A. Plus, they just taste great! Not to mention they very inexpensive. The carrots greens can also be eaten and are high in vitamin K, which the actual carrot itself, is lacking. For the greens, just sauteing in some olive oil with some red pepper flakes and garlic would be good. You can add a little earth balance butter or real butter to make them a little richer if you want. But for the carrots one of my favorite ways to dress them up is with a lemon-thyme

What's a Great Go-To Snack? Hummus!

Hummus. Such a simple, delicious, healthful snack option. It's amazing that more people don't eat it. And it's even more amazing that people will spend too much money on it when they buy it pre-made from the store! Hummus is so incredibly easy to make, it will blow your mind. Plus, since you're making it at home, YOU have total control of the flavor and can make it super tasty without all the extra sodium and who-knows-what-else. It's also great because you can dip any veggies you like in it, automatically making it a healthier choice. Hummus is great for many reasons. For example, chickpeas (also known as garbanzos beans) are the main ingredient and they are loaded with lots of plant protein and fiber. Chickpeas also contain calcium and are considered by experts as equal to yogurt and milk in providing the body with it's calcium needs. Also, the typical hummus recipe calls for lemon juice which is high in Vitamin C. Then, if you end up adding herbs you get a

Summer Nights

When I think of warm summer nights I think of good times on the back porch: firing up the BBQ, fresh summer fruit, cool beverages, good conversation, good friends... and potato salad. Potato salad is one of those classic summer dishes that everyone enjoys. Unless for some reason you hate potatoes and in that case you must be from another planet. But I can't help you there... Jumping into a lifestyle of no dairy products had me wondering if I would ever be able to find a replacement for my beloved potato dish.  But when there's a will, there's a way. And I made sure I found my way back to a delicious, flavorful, healthier potato salad. After a lot of recipe searching and testing I found the perfect combination of ingredients to make one of the best potato salads I have ever had. Not only is this recipe perfect for summer nights, but it's perfect to pack up in tupperware and take on a picnic, bring to a potluck or to have just because it's so darn good. Enjoy! Cr