Skip to main content

Pad Thai! Raw style.

Recently I've been experimenting with incorporating more raw food into my diet because, frankly, it's great for you. I'm sure your mind either immediately says "Ew." or "So, just salad?", but let me assure you neither of those are the case. Of course having a great big green salad loaded with fresh veggies is an easy and excellent way to get raw food into your body, but that's just the tip off the ol' iceberg. I plan on sharing many raw recipes with you, but first I'd like to share my absolute favorite:

Raw pad thai.

Now, I'm a big pad thai fan. I crave pad thai. The spiciness, the peanut flavor, the tang and the downright deliciousness of it all.  If that's your thing too, then I suggest you give this bad boy a try. Plus it will be a new and fun way to get some good ol' raw veggies in your diet.
Enjoy!

Raw Pad Thai

1 zucchini (spiraled into noodles or use a peeler to create long noodles)
2 carrots (julienned)
2 cups purple cabbage thinly sliced
1 green onion, chopped
2 Tblspns almond butter
1 lemon, juice of
2 Tblspns soy sauce
1 tsp finely chopped hot pepper (or 1 tsp Sriracha which i believe does not make this 100% raw)
1 Tblspn maple syrup (agave or honey would work too)
1 tsp garlic chopped
2 Tblspns raw sunflower seeds


*Note: If using Sriracha I suggest taste testing the spice level after everything else is prepped and adjust according to your liking.  I've noticed that the heat amps up as it sits. Personally, I like the level it ends up with the initial amount, but if you want a big kick, add a little extra sauce.

Directions:

In a bowl mix the nut butter with the garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, maple syrup (or sweetner you choose), and chili/hot sauce with a fork until smooth. Set aside.



Mix all your veggies in a large bowl, reserving some green onion for garnish.

Right before serving, mix the sauce with the veggies.Garnish with green onions and raw sunflower seeds.

 

*If you'd like a warmer approach to the meal, preheat your oven to the lowest possible temperature. This will still keep the recipe raw. Lay your veggies out on a baking sheet covered with foil.


Place your veggies in then oven and with the door cracked open heat your veggies for up to 12 minutes. Place in a bowl, pour sauce over and enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrots!

Lately carrots have been a favorite veggie of mine. I mean I've always liked them but just thought there was only so many ways to eat a carrot. But once I really jumped into vegetables I started exploring different recipes for so many different kinds. Carrots, making it to the top of my list. Now, carrots are great for you. They are fat free, low in sodium, cholesterol free, a great source of fiber and are high in vitamin A. No other fruit or vegetable contains as much carotene as carrots, which our bodies convert to vitamin A. Plus, they just taste great! Not to mention they very inexpensive. The carrots greens can also be eaten and are high in vitamin K, which the actual carrot itself, is lacking. For the greens, just sauteing in some olive oil with some red pepper flakes and garlic would be good. You can add a little earth balance butter or real butter to make them a little richer if you want. But for the carrots one of my favorite ways to dress them up is with a lemon-thyme

Summer Nights

When I think of warm summer nights I think of good times on the back porch: firing up the BBQ, fresh summer fruit, cool beverages, good conversation, good friends... and potato salad. Potato salad is one of those classic summer dishes that everyone enjoys. Unless for some reason you hate potatoes and in that case you must be from another planet. But I can't help you there... Jumping into a lifestyle of no dairy products had me wondering if I would ever be able to find a replacement for my beloved potato dish.  But when there's a will, there's a way. And I made sure I found my way back to a delicious, flavorful, healthier potato salad. After a lot of recipe searching and testing I found the perfect combination of ingredients to make one of the best potato salads I have ever had. Not only is this recipe perfect for summer nights, but it's perfect to pack up in tupperware and take on a picnic, bring to a potluck or to have just because it's so darn good. Enjoy! Cr

Better snacking!

I  recently went on a big bender about having healthier snacks in the house. Our kids will eat anything in their path, so I decided to clean up the options so that it wouldn't be as bad if they did. They love granola bars, but if you've looked at the nutritional facts on those bad boys you probably nearly cried. I almost did. They are THE WORST. Here I was thinking that I was making an okay decision by buying granola bars for them to snack on and then I ended up just feeling awful about buying them in the first place. SO, then I decided I needed to find an easy peasy recipe that could sort of take the place of the granola bars, be healthful, but still be tasty. I stumbled upon this recipe for a healthier snack "cake" and made some slight adjustments to what I had on hand in my pantry. These ingredients are things I typically have around, so it makes it easy for me to make whenever I would like.  I used melted coconut oil because it's been so warm here that it w