Skip to main content

Hey folks!

It has been quite some time since I was last able to put up an entry. I've been a bit busy and the computer is the last thing I was spending time with. But I've actually kind of missed blogging and talking about delicious foods so I decided to get back on it and share, share, share!

I've made tons of great dishes over the last few months and have taken some beautiful photos. All of which I plan on posting up for you. But first, some news!

Recently my hubby and I celebrated our 2 year anniversary in Las Vegas. On this wonderful (but killer hot) trip we were lucky enough to catch The Bodies Exhibition at the Luxor. You may have heard of this and you may think it's somewhat disturbing, but it was incredible! It’s a display of the muscles, bones, tissues, ligaments, etc of the human body. Along with healthy human bodies and parts, there is an assortment of unhealthy parts as well. Healthy lung vs. smoker’s lung, etc, etc. Anyways, there were organs shown that were part of people that ate unhealthily and did not exercise.…. This grossed me out. I told my husband that all of this made me want to eat better and exercise and made me want HIM to eat better as well. All the sudden he says, “Well how about this: I’ll go vegetarian for 30 days if you exercise for 30 days”. Whaaaaaat?!  This coming from the man that loves meat. Yes, he eats quite a bit of vegan food since that’s a majority of how we eat in our home, but once he’s out or at work you bet your booty he’s getting his carnivore on.

So of course I agree! Even though I absolutely despise working out. Seriously. I do no sort of physical exercise ever, aside from walking to some bus stops or the store. We decided that as soon as we got back we’d start this little “30 day challenge”. It has been one week and so far my body has been sore every day and the husband has been taking veggie sandwiches to work and getting creative. It’s great! Minus being sore every day, of course. But we’re doing this for each other and I think that’s wonderful.

To add onto this, our friend that’s staying with us has decided to go vegan until his birthday in February! It’ll be so nice to have a vegan partner in crime. I’m almost positive that my husband will start sucking down meat as soon as the 30 days is up. But that’s okay, he’ll get to eat vegan at home.

So I wanted to share that. But onto some recipes!

My latest love:
Vegan Baked Potatoes au Gratin
Now, I've never been a big fan of fake cheese or cheese sauce. But the sauce for this recipe has blown my mind. And it's super simple! Enjoy!


Baked Potatoes au Gratin

5-7  red potatoes (depending on size), sliced
Vegan butter to taste ( I like Earth Balance)
french fried onions

Nutrional Yeast Sauce:
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp dried yellow mustard (If you don't have this, I've definitely left it out before)
2 cups plain soymilk or plain coconut milk
3 Tblspn vegan butter
A heavy shake of onion powder
A couple heavy shakes of italian seasoning

Very lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish and preheat oven to 375.  
Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients for the cheese sauce in a small bowl and whisk in non-dairy milk until all clumps are gone.
Pour into a medium size pot with the butter and heat on medium until thick. Keep an eye on this and whisk occasionally. This is a thick sauce, but it shouldn't get as thick as mashed potatoes. Add some water or non-dairy milk to thin it a little, if needed. Take off burner.
                                                                    
Begin layering sliced potatoes in the baking dish. After about half of the potatoes are down, put a couple dobs of butter on top.
Pour about half of the sauce over the potatoes and sprinkle with a handful or french fried onions. Continue to place the rest of the potatoes on top. Drizzle the rest of the sauce over the potatoes and add more french fried onions on top.

Cover with foil and bake for about 35 minutes. Take off the foil and return to the oven for another 20-25 minutes until fried onions are golden brown and potatoes are cooked through.
Serve while hot!



This makes four decent size servings and tastes great the next day. I usually serve this alongside a large helping of greens. Whether it's a salad, baked asparagus, sauteed zucchini or squash. Whatever your heart desires!














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's a Great Go-To Snack? Hummus!

Hummus. Such a simple, delicious, healthful snack option. It's amazing that more people don't eat it. And it's even more amazing that people will spend too much money on it when they buy it pre-made from the store! Hummus is so incredibly easy to make, it will blow your mind. Plus, since you're making it at home, YOU have total control of the flavor and can make it super tasty without all the extra sodium and who-knows-what-else. It's also great because you can dip any veggies you like in it, automatically making it a healthier choice. Hummus is great for many reasons. For example, chickpeas (also known as garbanzos beans) are the main ingredient and they are loaded with lots of plant protein and fiber. Chickpeas also contain calcium and are considered by experts as equal to yogurt and milk in providing the body with it's calcium needs. Also, the typical hummus recipe calls for lemon juice which is high in Vitamin C. Then, if you end up adding herbs you get a

Carrots!

Lately carrots have been a favorite veggie of mine. I mean I've always liked them but just thought there was only so many ways to eat a carrot. But once I really jumped into vegetables I started exploring different recipes for so many different kinds. Carrots, making it to the top of my list. Now, carrots are great for you. They are fat free, low in sodium, cholesterol free, a great source of fiber and are high in vitamin A. No other fruit or vegetable contains as much carotene as carrots, which our bodies convert to vitamin A. Plus, they just taste great! Not to mention they very inexpensive. The carrots greens can also be eaten and are high in vitamin K, which the actual carrot itself, is lacking. For the greens, just sauteing in some olive oil with some red pepper flakes and garlic would be good. You can add a little earth balance butter or real butter to make them a little richer if you want. But for the carrots one of my favorite ways to dress them up is with a lemon-thyme

Summer Nights

When I think of warm summer nights I think of good times on the back porch: firing up the BBQ, fresh summer fruit, cool beverages, good conversation, good friends... and potato salad. Potato salad is one of those classic summer dishes that everyone enjoys. Unless for some reason you hate potatoes and in that case you must be from another planet. But I can't help you there... Jumping into a lifestyle of no dairy products had me wondering if I would ever be able to find a replacement for my beloved potato dish.  But when there's a will, there's a way. And I made sure I found my way back to a delicious, flavorful, healthier potato salad. After a lot of recipe searching and testing I found the perfect combination of ingredients to make one of the best potato salads I have ever had. Not only is this recipe perfect for summer nights, but it's perfect to pack up in tupperware and take on a picnic, bring to a potluck or to have just because it's so darn good. Enjoy! Cr